Nine | Why I'm Going Cruelty Free

Sunday, 10 May 2015


I've been a vegetarian since I was thirteen but not eating meat isn't enough anymore. For months I would feel guilt at the possibility of plonking something onto my face that had given torture to an innocent animal, but I didn't do anything to change it because I didn't think there were any other options. When I read this blog Buying Cruelty Free  it opened my eyes into the alternative products people could buy, but choose not to.

After swearing to myself that I would begin to buy cruelty free I took up some extensive research into the issue. I found some incredibly surprising facts about many companies that I use on a daily basis. This upset me to the point of me actually throwing out the products, if you don't want to live in the dark any longer about animal testing and how it is still carried out for what seems to be no reason whatsoever for many brands that we all probably know and love I would encourage you too to look into research and companies that are 'in suspicion' of animal testing (fun fact for you it normally means that they do in fact test their products on animals, just saving you the long read into terms and conditions). The next steps I took after my sudden realisation were to find cruelty free replacements of the products that use animal testing, this was much, much easier than I expected thanks to this lovely website which gratefully uses a colour code to show whether the products are animal and animal testing free. The website, NotTested also tells you information about the company and how, if they are cruelty free. 

What I seem to have found during this realisation is that companies like to word things cleverly, here for example is a snippet of famous animal testing company and general billionaire, un-ethical scumbags L'oreal trying to trick us into thinking they do not test their products on animals: "L’Oréal no longer tests on animals any of its products or any of its ingredients, anywhere in the world. Nor does L’Oréal delegate this task to others. An exception could only be made if regulatory authorities demanded it for safety or regulatory purposes." After carrying out research however, I found that those 'exceptions' are every time a new brand of makeup is brought out or every time they want to test whether children's 'no tears' shampoo will still give the children 'no tears'. So basically whenever the authorities tell them animal testing will be appropriate, which is always because safety must be tested whether the mascara you put into your eye by accident wont accidentally blind you like it has done for 12,000 rabbits or that 'no tears' shampoo is still giving you tears so lets apply it to a beagle's face and skin and see if they cry. As you can see after finding out the truth I am now very bitter about the subject and it angers me how companies think they can dodge ethics by wording their sentences cleverly to make out that they don't test on animals unless the product could be seen as life threatening (oh yeah shampoo in the eye, I'm dead). 

Because I have decided to boycott companies that use animal testing altogether I need to be extra careful now. When I am shopping I tend to be one of those annoying people that clog up the isles reading the small print, but it is so important to do this. PETA however have made it now a lot easier for people to know whether a product is cruelty free or not by adding the bunny symbol on things that have been authorised as cruelty free by many, many cruelty and testing organisations. It will look like any of these: 

Source: http://www.crueltyfreekitty.com

  And you will now then know that it has been made completely free of the animal testing process. Another thing that I find helps is a little app on your phone called 'Bunny Free' (there is an official PETA app but it is programmed for American products and therefore doesn't work very good when trying to find out about UK based products). It's an incredibly simple app where you can either type the name into the search engine or use your camera to scan the barcode. The app will then come up with the company and whether they are cruelty free, it will then tell you a little bit about the product. I find this so handy because not all products have the leaping bunny symbol displayed on their packaging but can be as ethical as the rest. 

A little piece of advice I will give to anyone who is thinking of going cruelty free is think of it as vegetarianism or going onto a diet. You have to do your research and do it slowly, take out a few products at a time, don't leave yourself with nothing to apply or use, you need to be able to find replacements or you'll just be back to start and having to by animal tested products again. I also urge you to do some proper research, not just on the companies website because as you've already seen, they like to twist their words. Look for actual references and sources that you can trust. Below is a list of some of the products that I use and are completely cruelty free:

- Soap & Glory 
- Barry M 
- Original Source 
- Lush 
-Ecover 
- Co-op

Hopefully this list will get longer in due time when I find more products, I hope this has been insightful and if any of you do use cruelty free I would love to know what you use. 




2 comments

  1. So happy to hear someone else to going cruelty-free :)
    Superdrug is great for everyday essentials and their make-up range B is great as well! xx

    Catherine / caffrinc.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thankyou and really?! Will definitely have to have a look into that makeup range thanks.

    ReplyDelete