My Music Taste

Monday, 22 June 2015


This is an idea that I have stolen from Youtuber Lucy Moon's VEDJ series, in which she creates a simple video defining her music taste by use of a mind map and explains what genres she's into. I thought this would be a great idea because I have such a varied music taste and I thought it would be pretty interesting looking into the genres that I listen to the most and why I listen to them. 

I normally absolutely hate mind maps, I am much more of a list person, but listing the music I like seemed much harder, so I tried to ignore my mind map stigma and created something a little complex and rough around the edges. I also used my iPod to find out which genre I listen to the most and which genre had the most artists in that category, although many artists fell into the un-known genre section, which didn't help one bit. So lets all laugh at me trying to examine my music taste and try and make sense of the complete array of noises that I keep in my head. 

Indie/Indie Rock - 35 Artists 

This is the most extensive section of my iPod collection, containing such artists as: 

The Wombats
Two Door Cinema Club
Alt J
James Bay
Catfish and the Bottlemen 
Jamie T
King Charles 
Swim Deep 
Bombay Bicycle Club 
etc. 

I have always been an indie kid, I can sense a ukulele riff and thick rimmed glasses a mile away! I listen to Indie music the most because I find it relaxing, the lyrics are intelligent enough to actually listen to and the sound can vary from a very fast, almost dancey' track to a slow paced, melancholic indie anthem about awkward teenage love. Meaning that there is always something out there for whatever mood you are in. Another thing about indie music that I love is that most of the artists are so down to earth, when going to an indie gig you find this unusually relaxed vibe where you can hang out with the artists afterwards and have a good ol' chin wag, you can talk to them about music and you don't have to go all 'fan girl' over them and they still appreciate you and that's what I love about the genre, it's not all about publicity and how many records they need to sell, it's the only genre I believe that is still 100% about the music. 

Leading on from indie is a little sub-genre I like to call:

80's Indie 

This is where my Mum comes in with her angsty, teenage playlists that she used to make me listen to and my Auntie for introducing me to depressing lyrics in a catchy riff. This genre doesn't have as many artists in my iPod but it is one that I hold incredibly dear to my heart. You will find the likes of:

The Smiths 
The Cure 
Joy Division 
The Stone Roses 
Blur 
Pulp 
Echo and the Bunnymen 

Following on from the depressing 'Morrissey' stage of my iPod we come to:

Alternative - 11 Artists

Many argue that Alternative should be classed as an indie genre in itself, however there are artists that I listen to in this category that I believe don't fit in to any other category, these are:

Dog is Dead
Florence and the Machine
Kings of Leon
Tom Odell
George Ezra

You could probably argue that all of the these artists belong to the indie or rock category, however they do all have unique concepts that puts them apart from the rest. Leading on from this strange, almost sub-genre, we go into the complexity of my ipod which is:

Rock - 17 Artists   

I call this genre complex because I believe it should have many different sections, which my iPod wont allow me to create, so I'm going to create them myself right here and now:

Old Rock (Rock and Roll)

I can thank my Dad for this little category for showing me these bands at an incredibly early age. When kids my age were obsessed with Spice Girls I was listening to John Lennon (my Spice Girls phase arrived a little later of course):

The Beatles
Elvis
Johnny Cash
Bob Dylan
Jimmy Hendrix
Aretha Franklin


With that my Parents also introduced me to:

70's Rock 

Fleetwood Mac
Simon and Garfunkel
Led Zeppelin
Queen
Elvis Costello
George Harrison
John Lennon
Patti Smith
T. Rex
Adam Ant
Nick Drake
Lou Reed
Leonard Cohen

Most of my music collection (not my iPod) is based on the past and I am eternally grateful to my parents for passing all this brilliant, clever, unique music onto another generation. (They introduced me to all this music in the 90's which I can't blame them for nothing good ever came out of the 90's)

With this we move onto more modern rock, which I haven't got a lot of really (my heart is set in the past):

Rock (Again, but modern)

The Vaccines 
Biffy Clyro 
The Killers 
Coldplay 
Tribes 
Stevie Nicks 

Okay, Stevie Nicks isn't too modern but she is still creating music now and I respect that woman so much, if it were my choice, she'd be in every single one of these lists!

I guess we better talk about this genre:

Pop - 15 Artists

Every single pop album I have on my iPod has been created by an independent, role model woman. Says a lot really:

Beyonce
Ellie Goulding 
Lady Gaga 
Taylor Swift 

Can we just discuss my love for Lady Gaga a second? She is just my ultimate hero, she is insanely talented and has worked incredibly hard to get to where she is today, she loves art and believes that music and modern art goes hand in hand and I believe that to, she is an intense woman of business and gets what she wants, she works tirelessly to create shows that will interact with her fans because she can't live without them and appreciates every single one and last but not least, she once said in an interview that being half naked on TV does not make her a slut, because if a man did it he would be called rock and roll, so why cant women be called rock and roll too. (Gaga appreciation paragraph over)

I am also going to have to refer soon enough to my 11 year old emo phase, so why not do it now:

Pop-Punk 

Everyone will probably have had 'that' phase of listening to angsty tunes, back combing your hair and wearing a stick of eyeliner a day. But we shouldn't be ashamed of that because along with it came some absolutely great music that will stick with you for life:

GreenDay
My Chemical Romance 
Panic at the Disco 
Blink 182

Even last week I heard Black Parade on the radio and found myself turning it up full blast and screaming all of the words. Honestly I think my pop-punk phase is indented into my brain!

Next is a much more gentle genre which I fell in love with when I started a band:

Acoustic - 5 Artists 

There's nothing better than hopping into the bath and putting your favourite acoustic artist on, especially when your bathroom has great acoustics! Over the years of liking this genre I haven't found many that I have stuck to, but the ones that I have I will listen to them for the rest of my life:

Ed Sheeran 
Lewis Watson 
Nina Nesbitt
Charlie Simpson 
Bon Iver 
George Ogilvie 

From this comes another relaxing genre that I seem to love and get most of my inspiration for song choices from:

Folk - 4 Artists 

Bears Den 
Fleet Foxes
SOAK 
Kate Rusby 
Civil Wars

My Mum also is a huge fan of folk music, but more of the 'diddly dee' kind if you know what I mean? I can listen to that kind in small amounts, however I do like a more relaxing folk sound. 

And this is when the musical structures of my brain go completely off course and we find ourselves where no white, British girl in her 20's is suspected to be:

R'n'B - 3 Artists

Even the way I wrote it seems incredibly 'white girl' Oh dear. I can't help it okay?! Every girl is entitled to a little bit of Kanye West alright! I also have added a spoken word artist to this section, just because he is classed as RnB but most of his songs are poetic raps:

Kanya West
Jay Z 
George the Poet 

It's not extensive and it's not exploratory into the genre at all, but it's just my little snippet of 'guns and hoes' okay? Maybe one day I'll explore the genre a little more, I have been liking The Weeknd recently, so we'll see if he makes it to the iPod. 

And last but not least, which links us nicely back to indie, making a full circle of my messed up, musical structure mind map we have:

Electronica - 5 Artists 

Before looking into my iPod I didn't think that I had much electronic music, but turns out I kind of do:

Bastille
James Blake
Goldfrapp
Gorillaz
Disclosure

Most of the artists here I didn't think were electronica, but if iPod says yes then they must be. Also this is definitely the place I go to when I'm getting ready for a big night out, until I get really drunk and then all I want is Fleetwood Mac (which annoys every single one of my flat mates)


Phew! I hope you have enjoyed looking into my music taste. There are probably loads of sub-genres that I have missed out, maybe some on purpose like the 'Guilty Pleasure' genre! But I think I appear to have explained this mess quite well. I urge you all, even if you don't want to make a post about it; to create a mind map of your music taste, you'll be quite surprised on what pops up!

Please let me know your music taste down below, I'm desperate to know what everyone else listens to? And you could give me recommendations if you like? 



 






Post a Comment