Quality

Wednesday, 2 March 2016


I think after six long years, my camera is finally giving up on me. Its aperture and DOF is getting so much worse and I have desperately fiddled with every single setting but alas, this is the quality I get. So I'm sorry for the lack of 'professional photos' on this blog, due to insufficient funds this camera must stay with me for the foreseeable future and to be honest I don't think I would be able to throw it away, even though it is now probably 'vintage' it got me through my photography diploma and I owe it so much, my poor baby!

This however, makes me think about camera quality and the importance of it when blogging. Surely the answer should be 'no camera quality doesn't matter at all, it should all be about content' but in this day and age when most (and I say most) 'famous' bloggers have the best cameras going you do feel a kind of pressure to follow their lead and buy a big ol' expensive piece of lens and plastic. Yes if I had the fundage' that would be a fine choice for me, I love photography it's one of my biggest hobbies and I would love to invest in that more. But it can be difficult when attached to a budget. When I started Uni I decided to start using disposable cameras and although the quality you get from them is the worst outcome you could probably ever get in photography it is, in a way warming to look at these candid, probably blurry shots and reminisce, even more so I feel than a digital camera. This however does not solve my problem with blogging, using a disposable for blog posts would be 1) Incredibly hipster and pretentious of me and more importantly 2) Very time and money consuming. 

This is why I have started using my phone to take photos more, it has better pixels than my ancient SLR and almost the same DOF. I do still want to invest in a brand spanking new fancy, fancy Canon 700 D (in my dreams) but that will have to come later. I still love my SLR and probably will do even when it's taking nothing but black shots and wiggly lines. I don't know where I was going with this post, I still haven't really made up my mind whether quality should even be a factor when it comes to blogging. Maybe I should start being pretentious and putting up film shots instead? Nah I couldn't deal with the amount of effort. I hate to say it but digital, it's just easier. 

Is quality important?



4 comments

  1. You've hit the nail on the head when you said content should be priority but it isn't the case in today's blogging world. There's almost a pressure, a standard to live up to, to get a good camera, almost like with amazing photos, even blogs with the shittiest of content can get away with it. Ah.

    MAY | WWW.THEMAYDEN.COM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly that's how I feel it is easier to get away with poorer content when you've got great, polished shots to go with it!

      Delete
  2. I'd love to post mainly film shots on my blog, but yes it is waayyy to much time/effort/money. I definitely feel the pressure of photo quality - I really want to splash out on a better camera, but it just seems silly to do so for the sake of my blog and the pressure I feel from all of the more professional looking photos. Maybe one day I will invest aha

    The Velvet Black | UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to do it and start like a new blogging craze! But it just wouldn't be worth my time and Alice I love your camera quality, it's amazing and I love the way you edit them for instagram, no need for a new camera. But I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels the pressure thankyou!

      Delete