Spring Book Haul

Saturday, 16 April 2016


Does it count as a 'haul' with 4 books? Hmm ah well. I've always been an avid reader, slow but passionate none the less. I don't know why I'm so slow, I'm a good reader and have been reading from a really young age, I was reading adult books when I was 10! But when it comes to a standard novel it will take me probably around 2/3 months to finish it. I don't know why that is because I read almost ever night, I love reading I don't see it as a task. I think that's why actually, I get so engrossed into a book that I have to absorb everything about it, take my mind to that place and live the story through the characters, that can only be a good thing right? So after having a reading list to get through for about 2 years now, I finally got through it and when I reached for the next book I found there was nothing left (reading list achieved). I headed to Amazon and ordered the books I've wanted to read for a while, so this will keep me going for another 2 years then!

Reasons to Stay Alive 

Aged 24, Matt Haig's world caved in. He could see no way to go on living. This is the true story of how he came through crisis, triumphed over an illness that almost destroyed him and learned to live again.

Being a psychology student I have an interest in mental illness (you might sense a theme in this haul) I find it fascinating that our brains have the capacity to basically destroy our lives, how do you win a battle against your own brain? With great difficulty, but Matt Haig did it and I can't wait to read his inspiring story. I suffer with a mental illness myself and I think this book, although much more extreme compared to my situation may help me at times, I do love a bit of inspiration. 

The First Bad Man 

One of my favourite Youtubers Estee Lalonde recommended this in one of her videos ages ago and I made a mental note to get it. The book doesn't give much a way, there is no synopsis or blurb. All I know is that it's a tongue in cheek written by a feminist icon and I'm ever so excited to read it. 

Eleanor & Park 

Eleanor is the new girl in town, and she's never felt more alone. All mismatched clothes, mad red hair and chaotic home life, she couldn't stick out more if she tried.Then she takes the seat on the bus next to Park. Quiet, careful and - in Eleanor's eyes - impossibly cool, Park's worked out that flying under the radar is the best way to get by.Slowly, steadily, through late-night conversations and an ever-growing stack of mix tapes, Eleanor and Park fall in love. They fall in love the way you do the first time, when you're 16, and you have nothing and everything to lose.
After reading a lot of hard hitting adult novels, I needed a break. So I decided to pick up a book that I have wanted to read since 2014 when I noticed the cover in Waterstones, it looks typical YA genre, love and angst but it's been ages since I read a good old fashioned love story and it's set in 1986 which means many musical references and pop culture hopefully. I think I'm going to read this first because its the complete opposite of the books I have recently read, I need that teenage angst back in my life!

My Heart and Other Black Holes 

Sixteen-year-old physics nerd Aysel is obsessed with plotting her own death. With a mother who can barely look at her without wincing, classmates who whisper behind her back, and a father whose violent crime rocked her small town, Aysel is ready to turn her potential energy into nothingness.There s only one problem: she s not sure she has the courage to do it alone. But once she discovers a website with a section called Suicide Partners, Aysel s convinced she s found her solution Roman, a teenage boy who s haunted by a family tragedy, is looking for a partner.Even though Aysel and Roman have nothing in common, they slowly start to fill in each other s broken lives. But as their suicide pact becomes more concrete, Aysel begins to question whether she really wants to go through with it. Ultimately, she must choose between wanting to die or trying to convince Roman to live so they can discover the potential of their energy together.
Another book about mental illness, but what looks like a very important one. I read a guardian review about this book and apparently it isn't what it looks like, it breaks down the stigma on mental health one chapter at a time. Although I am a little sceptical because I just don't like the concept of a depressed teenager being saved by their new boyfriend/girlfriend and not by themselves, that just rubs me up the wrong way, but I am going to keep an open mind when I go into this book because I have heard incredibly good things  

That's mi book haul.
 Lets see how long it takes me to read them all, my guess is like 3 years.


4 comments

  1. The First Bad Man is a rollercoaster ride, really quite shocking and entertaining. Eleanor and Park is such a light and sweet read! Enjoy sweetheart! xxxxx

    www.romantiquely.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really I was expecting it to be quite funny and I'm loving it right now!

      Delete
  2. I've heard really good things about Eleanor & Park and My Heart & Other Black Holes, though I haven't read them yet. I'd love to hear your thoughts when you finish them!
    xx Heidi
    http://heidis1haven.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm currently reading Eleanor and Park and I love it so far, really touching, relatable story.

      Delete