By The Book Tag

Sunday, 7 August 2016


I don't tend to be one for a tag, but there's something about this one that interests me and I've seen a lot of people doing it recently and I thought I would share my reading material in tag form. I'm not the fastest of readers which means it takes me a pretty long time to get through a book but I will make sure that I enjoy every minute, taking in the whole plot and living through the characters. The way I read is like a form of method acting only less physically straining and you know being able to act and that, anyhoo' lets get cracking:

What book is next to your bed right now?

I am currently reading On the Other Side which is Carrie Fletcher's new and very first novel. I've found it so far to be quite strange, although the concept is really unique and clever and the way Carrie writes is really visual and I can easily imagine the characters, there's almost an un-realistic layer to it and yes it is meant to be un-realistic it's about the afterlife for feck' sake, but I just can't get my head around some of the scenes and ideas that she writes about. For a first novel though it is really good and a lot more 'adult' than I was expecting seems as she has a pretty youngish youtube audience.   

What was the last truly great book you read?

The Girl with all the Gifts by M. R. Carey hands down, the visuals were amazing in it and I could imagine all the events from chapter to chapter. The characters were all really strong especially the female ones; it's very female led and I thought the concept of the book really did wonders for the 'zombie genre' per say. I'm also extremely excited about the film coming out and I just hope they do this wonderful book justice.  

If you could meet any writer -dead or alive- who would it be? And what would you want to know?

Ooo this is hard. I think I would say Harper Lee because I would like to hear why she took such a drastic turn to the To Kill a Mockingbird  follow up Go Set a Watchmen. Why she completely changed round Atticus's temperament and kind personality, I couldn't finish the book because it was such a shock to the system to read that he'd changed into a bitter racist seems as he's my favourite character ever in a book! I'd also like to know her side about the controversial release of her book after her death because I have heard that she didn't want it published and they still went ahead and released it. She also seemed like a very interesting character. 

On a lighter note I would also love to have a cuppa' and a natter to either JK Rowling (obviously) or Michael Morpurgo and thank them for making my childhood so great and full of wonder.

What books might people be surprised to find on your shelves?

This question was pretty hard to answer because I'm very open with my book choices. I'm no book snob or anything, I do have a 2000 word encyclopdia on every breed of cat in the world but that's not surprising for anybody who knows me. 

I do have a lot of John Green which I'm not saying there is anything wrong with, but some people would definitely be surprised seems as I don't conform to teenage gender stereotypes and manic pixi dream girls, whoopsy!

How do you organise your personal library?

I don't, my aesthetic is a messy book shelf. Or as you can see from the image above non-existent bookshelf. My dream is to have a house with a full floor to ceiling bookshelf with a ladder and that, but that probably wont be organised either!   

What book have you always meant to read and haven't gotten around to yet? Anything you feel embarrassed never to have read?

I've never really gone back to reading 'the classics' like Austen and Dickens because they were both forced upon us at school, but I would like to really appreciate them. Also I do have a lifetime reading list as big as my arm, which contains Hemingway, Wilde, Poe, Stephen King and loads of writers that my mum recommended because she reads so much and I trust her judgement. But this list keeps getting overshadowed by newer books I see reviewed and then I immediately buy them on Amazon. I really need to get back to crossing off that lifetime list. 

There's nothing I feel embarrassed about because reading is there to be enjoyed for yourself, it shouldn't be a snobbish activity. I think I would feel a little embarassed if I didn't read at all, but I know it's not everybody's cup of tea and it doesn't make you any more un-intelligent or clever if you do or don't. 

Disappointing, overrated, just not good: what book did you feel you are supposed to like but didn't? Do you remember the last book you put down without finishing?

I hate to say it but I really didn't like Zoe Sugg's novel Girl Online I thought the plot line was poor and the characters were so stereotyped. Also the book does not help with mental health stigma and conquering anxiety through self care because the main character is basically 'saved' by her boy crush ugh. To be fair though I don't know how the plot follows after that but after reading the first one I certainly wont be thinking of adding the other two to my reading list. Sorry Zoe, I love you in all other aspects!

I also was very disappointed with The Handmaids Tale so many people told me to read this because I'm a feminist, but I just wasn't impressed with the plot line and the character affirmation. I wrote a lengthy blog post a few months ago about my disappointment in this book and why I disliked it so much, but I would have to say that although I completed it, it was hard and not very enjoyable.


What kind of stories are you drawn to? Any you stay clear of?

I much prefer a realistic storyline. Something when I can relate to the characters and even maybe relate to some of the plot. Because I study psychology at Uni I'm really interested in either psychological thrillers or quiet YA's about battling mental illness, I also sometimes like constructed realism, stories that are based on real storylines or real people. And I am an absolute sucker for a dystopian, futuristic novel. 

I am partial though, to a little bit of magic such as Harry Potter, Tolkien or The Night Circus but I don't like the magic to dominate the storyline, the characters have to always be the most important. 

I think the one genre of book I stay clear of are those awful 'mum' books about child abuse such as Don't tell mummy or, A child called It or, I was hidden in a cupboard for 3 years please help. I think it's just a little strange of a concept to enjoy reading about this kind of abuse and from what I've heard (I could be wrong) a little glorifying and romanticised, I don't know though each to their own.


If you could require the current Prime minister to read one book, what would it be?

Oh god this is a hard question. I don't actually know what I'd make lizard face read, probably something about how the British class system doesn't work anymore or something about animal rights or gay rights or every other person she has voted against's rights. But to be honest if I had a chance to give Teresa May a book I would hit her over the head with it, so I wont be doing that no thank you. 

What do you plan to read next?

I finished my spring reading list  not so long ago so I'm currently making a new one. I am just about to begin Girl on the Train I've wanted to read it for a while and the film comes out in October so I'm wanting to read it before that. I've heard there's some problematic things about it especially the woman characters but I am intending to hold back my judgement and immerse myself into the story. 


I hope you've enjoyed my whittling on about books through an overused, popular tag. Aw well I had fun. Be free to join in or whatever this tag does help you think about your reading style. If you do do it I would love you to link it bellow so I can be nosey and read your answers!

 
 

  





Post a Comment