The Forgetting Time | Sharon Guskin

Wednesday, 7 December 2016


I'm not going to lie, I only picked this book up because of it's beautiful front cover. But it was a good decision because this is the best book I've read since Girl with all the Gifts. Also the front cover has holes in for the windows of the house and a yellow backing behind it so it looks like there are lights shining through the house, omg absolute genius! I loved the premise of this book and knew I would like it as soon as I saw the blurb (and the front cover). 

Noah is four and wants to go home. The only trouble is he's already there.

Janie's son is her world, and it breaks her heart that he has nightmares. That he's terrified of water. That he sometimes pushes her away and screams that he wants his real mother. That it's getting worse and worse and no one seems to be able to help.

In desperation, she turns to someone who might have an answer - but it may not be one she's ready to hear.It may also mean losing the one thing she loves more than anything. Noah.


The fact this book is about modern reincarnation is so interesting to me. Reincarnation is always a subject that fascinates me and this book takes entries from a real, published, possibly factual book about reincarnation events from an actual scientist guy Life Before Life  you can actually buy it and everything it's pretty genuine. Guskin does an exceptional job at revolving this amazing plot line around this book, I like how almost each chapter is backed up by entries from it and it almost justifies what's happening in the story. The plot is powerful, a mother and son relationship but the son is longing for another life, heartbreaking. Most of the book is from the mother Janie's point of view who just longs for a normal, drama free life, but with a child so peculiar that life is pretty difficult to come across. She meets a professor who is completely down trodden and about it give up on his work investigating reincarnation in children and second-life-syndrome and as soon as he sees Noah his luck begins to change. Before I give away more of the complex plot I'll stop myself there.

The character relationships in this book are really interesting and I love that apart from some husbands and wives, there are no love interests. The character of Janie is a strong, independent single mother, a charter that many can relate to, she is a brilliant lead and her life struggles and flaws are all incredibly relatable, I imagine to single motherhood. Noah is a clever boy for his age and his wit and intelligence is a bonus for me because I normally stay away from books with children because, to be frank they don't interest me, I'm not a children person. But since reading Room I have warmed to intelligent child protagonists and Noah is definitely one of those.

I love the turns this book takes. Towards the middle it gets pretty creepy and dark and I didn't know it was going to be that kind of book. Guskin's very good at adding suspense to the end of each chapter and there were many nights when I would be up reading towards the early hours of the morning because the plot was just so suspenseful. The plot is balanced out with wit and love and although some chapters are nail biting, some will probably make you shed a tear.

The Forgetting Time is a brilliant book that jumps around from genre to genre and for a debut novel it's so good. I've also heard that it might be being made into a film which is so exciting, like Room with reincarnation! I now want to purchase Life Before Life and read much further into this second-life-syndrome thing.

Have you read this book? Did you enjoy it as much as me?

                                      





Post a Comment