Songs For // January

Monday, 30 January 2017


Seems as it's only the beginning of the year this month has been so great for new music. Obviously we have to talk about Ed Sheeran but as well as that lovely little surprise there were loads more wonderful tunes I discovered and have been listening to obsessively over January:

_________________________________________________________________________________
Ed's back! Shout it from the rooftops, tell everyone! I was so excitied to wake up one morning and find out that Ed Sheeran had dropped not one, but two new singles for our listening pleasure. Although I was a little taken a back with the choice of lyrics in Castle on the Hill; some of them are a little lazy and amatuer I think, but that's what he's good at pure, raw song writing. I soon was singing it outloud in my room and listening to it probably about 10 times a day, which is my normal ritual for new Ed Sheeran songs. Shape of You on the other hand  I loved instantly, it's so bloody catchy and it just makes you want to go out and dance. I also love how he was going to give it to Rhianna and changed his mind last minute, that's when you know you have great song writing ability when you can chisel music to a particular artist and not lose your song writer identity. I'm so excited for the album to come out in March and I love the blue colour scheme and artwork that's out already, Ed's just an all round good egg and will always be one of my favourites.
_________________________________________________________________________________
 When this T Swift and ZAYNE collab came out I was intrigued. I hate The 50 Shades franchise with an absolute passion but the soundtracks are always great, I love this song. It's just proper old fashioned catchy pop music, it's sultry and dark and bassy and I like to sing it in the shower. The music video is well sexy as well, jus' sayin'. 
_________________________________________________________________________________
Little Lewis Watson is back, I've always been a huge fan of his music and when he released Forever I loved it from the first note, he's so good at what he does and I think he deserves more spotlight to be honest.
_________________________________________________________________________________
 I heard this track by Tom Walker on Radio 1 one morning and it really resontated with me, I love the gravliness of his voice and the production of this track, definitely a new favourite artist.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Of course I had to fit La La Land in there somehwhere, I've been absolutely obsessed with this soundtrack and have been listening to it everywhere I go, it's like I've made it my own walking soundtrack like I'm in the film, I must get some funny looks because I always catch myself humming or singing a long. This rendition of City of Stars is my favourite because it's really stripped back and raw with Emma and Ryan's soft voices and they even laugh in the middle which is so cute, omg I'm obsessed with this film! 
________________________________________________________________________________
After watching Helen Anderson's   look book in which she does a cover of 17 by Youth Lagoon I have been listening to this song non-stop, I know it's not new, it just went completely under my radar. I love the simplicity of the chord sequences so much and the lyrics are so poetic and thoughtful, I'm now slightly obsessed with Youth Lagoon's music as a whole, they're great to listen to at night, when you're drawing or writing, so chill. 
_________________________________________________________________________________

I've loved this playlist so much this month and I've played the songs to death. What a great start to year music wise!

          

What have you been listening to this January?

4 comments

  1. SO happy that Ed is back, I really hope I can tickets for his tour! x

    Sick Chick Chic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same, I was going to get them before I found out the Parklife lineup but now I'm saving up for that, he would be so great to see live though!

      Delete
  2. Ed is the babe and I'm so happy that he's back. I can't stop listening to those two songs. Also, I love your playlist, some very good tunes you have there :)

    -Leta | The Nerdy Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is, he's so good at what he does, thank you!

      Delete