Productive Procrastination

Thursday, 16 March 2017


I think this is going to be one of those stream-of-conciousness blog posts, so I apologise now in advance. You probably already know this because I don't shut up about it, but I'm currently writing my disseratation at Univeristy and I've discovered something about me that is slightly problematic and slightly not at the same time; bare with me. 

I've found that in the past I am pretty good at getting shit done. Be it deadlines, housework, nagging tasks that need my attention. I am a very organised person at heart, I love my lists and time my every move by the hour on the clock. But whilst doing this huge task I found that I have become the queen of productive procrastination. What I mean by this is that I will find anything to do, other than the thing I am supposed to be doing. But it won't be something that wastes my time, it will be something that I see to be important but just not right now. Be it; writing a blog post (literally what I am doing now) *ahem*, practicing guitar, cleaning, washing, showering, doing other pieces of work that aren't important as the others, planning for the future, doing pointless uni applications, cleaning out my wardrobe, food shopping, sorting my makeup bag, researching birthday presents for people, the list goes on. The thing about this form of procrastination is that it is still me getting shit done, but not the main shit that I'm meant to be doing. Yes these things will help me in the future but not the near future, idk it's very frustrating. For someone who calls themselves organised this new form of procrastination is not helpful, however it could be a lot worse. I could be watching hours of TV shows or films or going out and drinking or lying in bed and I'm thankful I'm not doing that, at least I'm getting something out of it at the end. I just think it's interesting that this new behaviour has come about. 

I think it's because I'm scared of my dissertation, I am. I'm scared of me putting all this effort in and it being really shit and not worth the time. So I think my brain is telling me that if I spend more time on things that it thinks are more important for the long run, I'll still feel like I have my life together. I know I'm going to get my dissertation done and I'm thankful to my brain for thinking about the future and helping me out now so I can have a great summer but anothing part of my brain is telling me that I need to spend all my energy on this disseratation and every breath writing or transcribing. I think because my future is so un-clear at the moment I am organising everything else around me to cope, apart from the thing that is the most important, ahh! It's frustrating but I know it could be worse and at least I am getting shit done, even if it's not the shit that I should be doing (so much mention of shit I'm sorry). 

I cant be alone with this. Please let me know if you too have to deal with productive procrastination and whether something good has come from it as a result. Our brains are funny things. Now I'm off to get something done, even if it's nothing to do with what I'm meant to be doing it's something right?  



4 comments

  1. Yes. Yes, yes, yes. Especially when it came to exam revision. I would spend ages writing up notes and highlighting text but when it came to the actual revision and practice papers I held off. I was just so scared that I wasn't smart enough anyway that I almost didn't even want to try. Luckily because I was so stressed about it I started exam prep super early which meant I had quite a bit of time to get my shit together. Hopefully your dissertation is something you are interested in? If you force yourself to work on it for a few hours one morning maybe you'll realise it isn't so bad? Good luck, sorry for the shitty advice xxx

    ALittleKiran | Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there's this huge trend of making your revision notes neat and pretty even though that doesn't help you towards your grade. And yeah that's good I think a little bit of stress is healthy and yeah it really is, I love my disseratation topic it's juts a lot of work but I'm getting back into a routine for it now and it'll be over soon so I might as well enjoy it while I can. Thank you and it wasn't shitty at all Kiran!

      Delete
  2. Great post, I love it, thank you for sharing, cannot wait for the next one!!!

    xxx

    www.noragouma.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I just needed to write my current state of mind down. It happens a lot on this blog!

      Delete