Songs for // March

Wednesday, 5 April 2017


March has been a long ass month and because I have spent most of it writing I have been listening to a plentiful array of tunes that have kept me more sane. So a big thank you to some of my favourite artists for releasing albums when I was at my most emotionally fragile (Ed Sheeran) it was a great help crying on the kitchen floor at 2 in the afternoon. No really though this month has been an awsome month for music, lets talk about it:

_________________________________________________________________________________



_________________________________________________________________________________

At first came Stormzy and what a wonderful album it was, it was so much more melodic and poignant than I thought it was going to be and I fell in love with it. To the point that I am considering buying it on vinyl and that's a big deal for me! Blinded by your Grace is just one of those songs that does something to you, it's so uplifting and almost spiritual and the chorus is so catchy you just want to sing it full blast in the shower, which I have been doing, all month!         
_________________________________________________________________________________  
Next up I heard about this artist from one of my favourite Youtubers Conan Gray  who listed this song in his monthly favourites. He described it as 'spooky-pop' and 'sounding like Scooby Doo' I couldn't agree more. There's something about the melody and chord sequence that just captures that 80's style, slightly creepy cartoon  feel. That probably doesn't make any sense but if you listen to the song you'll understand (I think).         
_________________________________________________________________________________         
I read about Maggie Roger's recently about the story of her reducing Pharell Williams to tears with this song, I wouldn't say it's tear jerking, it's much more powerful than that. I connected wholeheartedly to the lyrics and found myself feeling kind of empowered by it, even though the lyrics are sad there's something about them that is cathartic and up-lifting at the same time. I listened to the whole of her EP and Alaska is defintiely my favourite song but I just love her folky vibe and I can't wait for the album to come out.          
_________________________________________________________________________________

Speaking of empowering songs Sucker is just one of those songs that makes your day better. It's one of those songs that; even on your bad days, you can walk out of the house with your head held high feeling ultimately more badass than before you listened to it 'I'm a sucker for YOUUU oooo oo ooo oooo ooo ooooooo' that is all.          
_________________________________________________________________________________       
As an avid and now self proclaimed The 1975-piece-of-trash-fan-girl I tuned into radio 1 at the end of Feb to listen to their new Warchild single. I lay on my bed letting it wash over me in the best possible way and I love it. I know it's a cover and my un-eductaed self still hasn't listened to the original but part of me doesn't really want to now. I think that's how you know a band has done a good cover, when it sounds like it could be there own. I like to listen to this song in the bath surrounded by candles and serenity, try it sometime. 
_________________________________________________________________________________

Oh Ed! He's back and I have to say some of these songs are amazing. I know he's everywhere at the moment and is grating on people a little but you can't not say that he is a master of his craft and his songs are just so tuneful and catchy. Dive is my fave because I like to harmonise to it when I'm cooking stirfry but I also like the message of What do I know and just the whole album in general is just great, in my opinion not as good as + and x but they hold much more nostalgia for me so of course I'm going to favour those.
_________________________________________________________________________________

 Lorde released another song and it caused me to have an un-intentional sit-down-shower where I contemplated life and cried a lil' (round of applause). This song just did something to me, the lyrics are just so, so perfect and encapsulates the relationship you can have with yourself vs the relationship you can have with others. If you haven't listened to this yet, just listen (preferably in the shower) it will change your life. I have never been so excited for an album release since ILIWYSFYASBYSUOI. 
_________________________________________________________________________________ 

I like Frances and I like her new album, it's tuneful and thoughtful with lovely lyrics, Sublime is uplifting and makes an early morning more bearable, what else do you want really? 
_________________________________________________________________________________

 I read a review of Pixi Geldoff's new album and was meaning to listen to it for ages but I invetibly forgot, I listened to it this month and instantly felt calmer. It's got really heavy Lana vibes and I love it, I'm Yours is my fave because of the relaxing and catchy chorus but I also like Twin Thing but that is just too sad to listen to on a daily basis along with Liability, there's only so many sad songs you can have in one spring playlist ammarite'? 
_________________________________________________________________________________

I heard this song on the NMF playlist on Spotify, which I highly recommend by the way when you don't know what to listen to! I just like the up-beat, summer vibe and the lyrics are cool.
_________________________________________________________________________________

And last but not least a lil' kind of throwback to Ciara's emo days. Creeper have been on my radar for a while and on a night time drive the other day this song came on, the lyrics tho, the lyrics. I did listen to the rest of the album and wasn't too impressed, I think it's a classic case of finding the one song that is completely different to the rest of the album, damn! But this song just took me back to being 14 and writing angsty songs in my room and wearing too much eyeliner, there's something very dramatic about it that I just love, massive MCR vibes and that's fine with me, nothing like a bit of new oldschool emo in your life from time to time!


That was lengthy, March was long and I appear to have collected a lot of music, I hope you give it a listen and enjoy it never the less. I'm having trouble formatting these posts into the best way to read them, I don't know whether to stick with the lines, divide it into paragraphs with these little hyphen things or leave it in one chunky paragraph? I'd love your feedback. 

Post a Comment