A Not So Blue Monday

Monday, 1 May 2017


Hello pals! This week has been filled with a presentation that I absolutely aced (surprising round of applause to me) and some very productive creative work. A positive week, things are happening and I feel great. Here are the things that have made me particularly happy this week:

Girlboss__________________________________________________________________________

It's a new series on Netflix and my housemate and I started watching it after a pretty strenuous day of adulting and it was the perfect choice of program. It's very relatable to the point that it takes the focus off the character on the screen and projects it on to you. I know this is based off the book Girlboss that I haven't actually read and I went into this completely blind but I think that is a good thing. I like how the main protagonist is not actually a likeable character and she's a bit of a dick at times, but her stubborn, un-breakable motivation is very inspiring and this show is very cleverly shot and hilarious. It also makes me want to up sticks and move to San Francisco immediately!

Fishless Fingers (ew)_______________________________________________________________

Yep I jumped on the bandwagon and tried the new Quorn Vegan Fishless Fingers. First of all can they not think of a nicer name for them ? It grosses me out every time I read the packet! Secondly I was never a huge fan of fish fingers back in the decade where I did eat meat so my expectations were low. But, honestly they are so tasty, they don't taste fishy at all. They remind me a lot of the Linda McCartney scampi that I used to be crazy over until they got cruelly taken away from me because they stopped selling them in Sainsbury's and then everywhere else! But this is a great replacement for those. I haven't had them in a sandwich yet but I did have a child's dinner of fish fingers chips and veg this week and it was both nostalgic and much more tasty than I remember!

Photoshoot_______________________________________________________________________

This week I helped take part in a photoshoot for our upcoming zine for Hayton Castle Fields with my friend Stevie and photographer Kim Jakobsen To. It was a very inspiring experience to work closely with fashion stylists and photographers on a professional level and it gave me a little glimpse into their world. I was also asked to model for Kim which I at first felt very un-comfortable about, but once I was put into a Vivienne Westwood dress (fan-girl moment) and styled accordingly and my hair was coo'd over and was tweeked, I was ready for my close up; literally, that camera got so close to me! I also got to be Kim's assistant and help him take photos of lots of inspiring LGBTQ+ kids in our local area, it was so wonderful to meet them and hear their stories and I came away from the shoot with just this sense of hope and the feeling that things aren't actually that bad because these kids have a place to come and be safe and be themselves and we need to highlight that more. The photos will hopefully be released within the month and no doubt I will be posting them all over social media so look out for them!

May Everyday____________________________________________________________________

And last but not least, I have decided to write a blogpost everyday in may! I enjoyed blogmas so much and apart from a few more bits at Uni and shifts at work May is looking pretty much free for me. And I have so many ideas and I need somewhere to channel my creativity. Now the last time I tried this 2 years ago I failed because I had a bad time with my anxiety and had to stop for my own sanity. But I don't think that will happen this year, I'm feeling much stronger and much more free and I can't wait to just write and write and write! I'm planning on posting every evening at 8pm so keep an eye out on Bloglovin' and my insta story and possibly twitter? I don't know yet, wish me luck!

Listening to // Gorillaz - Humanz____________________________________________________

I just started listening to this today and as I thought it's very experimental. I'm halfway through whilst writing this blogpost and it's so long! It's 26 tracks long! I think it's one of those albums that needs a good listen to about 3 times before any actual opinions on the music can be gathered but there are a few tracks that are standing out to me already The Apprentice ft Rag n Bone Man, Charger ft Grace Jones and Hallelujah Money ft Benjamin Clementine. One thing I do know is that I'm loving these collabs!

                                            

How was your Monday?
                                            

4 comments

  1. I started watching Girlboss the other day and had to stop halfway through the episode. I love Britt Robertson but her role seemed a little meh. I'll probably give it another try soon xD

    cabin twenty-four

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the character is a bit grating, but if you can get through that it's a really good show!

      Delete
  2. I binged Girlboss and I really enjoyed the show. In recent years Amoruso has faced a lot of criticism with the bankruptcy and lawsuits so it will be really interesting to see if future seasons touch on it and how they handle it! x

    www.rhymeandribbons.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I had a lil' research the other night about it and it seems that she paved her way on a pretty unethical path and yeah I hope there's more seasons it's so good!

      Delete