Songs For // May

Wednesday, 31 May 2017


This month has been amazing for music. Two stand out albums and some other wonderful singles that have got me feeling all summery up in here! Here is my soundtrack to the month of May:

_________________________________________________________________________________


_________________________________________________________________________________

I discovered Billie Eillish through Conan Gray's monthly favourites. I listened to Bellyache and a few other tracks but this song definitely stood out. It's a very catchy song and I love the lyrics, very clever. It's a perfect summer track for driving or walking somewhere. 
_________________________________________________________________________________

I've recently gotten into Mac Demarco after a friend recommended him to me. I love his music, it's perfect for a lazy day with a glass of wine and friends. This month we had a lot of sun and this album was great for those kind of days, kicking back and lying in the long grass. Although some tracks on the album are pretty dark if you listen to the lyrics but he's done that classic thing of disguising anguish in an upbeat riff. Baby You're Out however is just a perfect summer groove that just makes you nod along to the lead bass, love it. 
_________________________________________________________________________________

When I was patiently waiting for specific album releases I appeared to have no music to listen to. Now I'm not a big fan of Kasabian but I thought I'd give this album a go and I was so pleasantly surprised. I caught myself tapping my feet and then humming the tunes and then just fully enjoying it having a lil' dance around my room. It's such an upbeat and feel good album and this first track is just so catchy, although most of the lyrics don't even make sense. Get ready to see Kasabian again later on in this playlist, I couldn't choose just one song. 
_________________________________________________________________________________

HAIM are back and I'm so happy about this! Want You Back is once again a very catchy track (notice a theme this month) and it's got that classic HAIM style of chorus, where you find yourself singing a long to it all, even if you've only heard it once. The lyrics are also very relatable which makes me like it more and I'm very, very excited about this upcoming album!
_________________________________________________________________________________

After reading NME's new tracks segment I discovered this new band Blaenoven. Orthodox Man was my favourite from a relatively vanilla album and it really stands out because of the lyrics. The lyrics are cut throat and tells the story of a man who would do anything for this girl, but she just isn't interested, bless him. It's a very dark and brooding song with a lighter chorus with an upbeat indie riff that breaks through the darkness. Almost making it a summer anthem if you don't really listen to the lyrics, I love songs like this. 
_________________________________________________________________________________

I also discovered James Hersey this month randomly on Spotify and I really like his sound and Everyone's Talking is just a nice quiet acoustic tune with a nice little build up bridge about nosey people and staying out of people's business, what more do you want?
_________________________________________________________________________________

Oh look, another two Kasabian tracks what a surprise! I told you I couldn't just pick one, or two for that matter! Bless this Acid House is a brilliant take on the Northern England rave scene and it's once again; so catchy. It's one of those songs where the chorus is an instant ear worm and you could see a crowd of people singing a long at a festival. Put You're Life on It on the other hand is an anthemic slow number about loving people and I am all for that. It's got Oasis vibes and once again I could see a huge crowd singing the chorus. Kasabian have really mastered the ways of the Northern anthem. 
_________________________________________________________________________________

And here we are, the moment we've all be waiting for. Harry's new album! I absolutely adore it and I think I'm going to do a full review soon. In the mean time lets discuss my two favourite tracks; Kiwi is fun with a bluesy chord sequence and obnoxious lyrics, very Jagger-esque and very heavy on drums and guitars, I absolutely love it! Woman is completely different; a smooth and sultry piano led track about you guessed it; a woman. I love the beginning as well, observing a millennial relationship, good ol' Netflix. I honestly love this album and I'm so happy he's gone down a different route with nods to his favourite artists but yet still being original, full review will come soon I promise!
_________________________________________________________________________________

And now for the other fantastic album that came out this month that caused me to have a mild crisis on the kitchen floor like Ed Sheeran but a kind of happy one? After Laughter is everything I wanted it to be although it is much sadder than I thought it would be. It contains that classic Smiths-style technique of fast and upbeat tracks paired with wistful and melancholy lyrics and it just works so well! Rose Coloured Boy is so darn catchy (again) and a very interesting subject about overly positive people and being around them when you're not so positive (I know this feeling well). Forgiveness is also pretty relatable for me and it once again has a really catchy chorus and Idle Worship I think is one of my favourite songs from the album, it has everything; a weird minor note in the middle of Hayley's vocals, a catchy chorus (surprise) and weird la la la's that wouldn't work in any other song, but because it's Paramore it works. I might do a full review of this album as well if I can get my hands on it soon!
_________________________________________________________________________________

So there we go, probably the best month of music so far (I know I say this every month, but I mean it). Everything on this playlist is catchy, how many times have I said catchy?!  
Two album reviews are coming your way I promise!
What have you been listening to this May?

                                               



3 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome playlist! I'm obsessed with the new Harry Styles and Paramore albums x
    www.britishmermaid.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw they're so great , glad you like them as much as me!

      Delete