Songs For // June

Sunday, 25 June 2017


I always knew June would be a great month music wise because; 1) Lorde's new album was due to be released and 2) I was going to Parklife festival and would therefor find some more music to put under my belt. The inevitable happened and most of the songs on this months playlist are from Lorde. The new album is everything I wanted it to be, but it still managed to surprise me, taking her music style down a different path with full orchestras and even a choir?! But this isn't just a Lorde appreciation post, I have also picked up a few more tunes for this month, some relatively old that I discovered at Parklife and some new, shall we crack on:

_________________________________________________________________________________



_________________________________________________________________________________

And so we kick the month of with Lorde's 3rd single release before the album even came into fruition. I immediately was drawn to this song, it has very similar vibes to a lot of the songs on Pure Heroin and the same theme about extisential teenagers needing to escape their everyday lives. It's basically what I wrote my dissertation about and therefor I feel very connected to this song and the story it tells. A great sneak peek into what I knew would be an amazing album!
_________________________________________________________________________________

Lorde wasn't the only one that released an album this month. Good ol' Alt J are back and sadder than ever. I wasn't actually a huge fan of this album altogether but I did like a few songs like In Cold Blood that is just classic Alt J. The others are a little meh. And really, bloody sad, I hope they're okay. 
_________________________________________________________________________________

This month whilst at Parklife I got to see Japanese House live and they were wonderful. They played this song and then released it a few days later, the chorus is so catchy and I just love the way it builds up to a crescendo. I'm also in love with her effects pedal and her harmonies and her double denim. 
_________________________________________________________________________________

I also got to see Rat Boy while I was at Parklife and he was so good live. Outspoken, political and hilarious. He played this song and the crowd just went crazy, it's so catchy with huge Sex Pistols vibes but the lyrics are so thoughtful and reflective of our time in politics now. I also loved the part at his gig when he said 'who thinks Theresa May's a cunt' yes, yes Rat Boy, we all do hun'. 
_________________________________________________________________________________  
I am currently living with Declan Mckenna's self proclaimed No.1 fan and although I had heard of him and have a few songs on a playlist here and there, I didn't realise his music is so different now compared to a few years ago. I love this new single, the lyrics are clever and thoughtful and I especially love the weird techno breakdown at the end of the song. I think this song will always remind me of June 2017 and you know it's a special song when it's capable of doing that. 
_________________________________________________________________________________

 I first heard this song randomly on a friend's playlist late at night. I immediately Shazamed it and added it to the playlist. I love the mellow style of this artist and his voice is so powerful but pure and whimsical at the same time. He really reminds me of George Ogilivie and I think this song is the perfect accompaniment to a chill out with friends or a nice bath or just when you're lying in bed feeling thoughtful. 
_________________________________________________________________________________

Oh look, three more Lorde songs, what a bloody surprise! After listening to Melodrama the whole way through three times, I picked out the songs that had the most effect on me. Supercut was one because once again the lyrics are incredibly relatable and it's just an absolute tune. The Louvre hit me like a tonne of bricks and I still dream about writing a chorus thread as catchy and tuneful as that one day, I also love the lyircs 'BROADCAST THE BOOM BOOM BOOM AND MAKE EM ALL DANCE TO IT' and I feel like they have to be typed in capitals, they just have to. I also love the end to the song when the guitar kicks in and this part especially has such a 90's blockbuster influence. I'm pretty sure it's taken from something else that is really familiar but I can't for the life of me remember what it is, I just think it fits perfectly with the style of the song. And lastly we have Writer in the Dark which made me crumble and shed many a tear. Once again the lyrics are relatable and so, so beautiful; about creative people and how they deal with break ups, how relationships have a lasting effect on someone and how you can use those feelings to make endless amounts of art, ouch my heart.
_________________________________________________________________________________

So there we are a very Lorde heavy month. But she is one of my favourites. I will definitely be purchasing this album on vinyl sometime soon and will be listening to it for the rest of this month and probably well into July. Also I feel like the rest of the songs on this playlist have a very summery vibe and I have enjoyed listening to them all through June. 

What have you been listening to this June?



Post a Comment